DIY: The Screen Crapped out on my E-M10 Mark II, so I Fixed it Myself.

December 09, 2019  •  Leave a Comment

I love everything there is to love about the E-M10 Mark II.  It along with the now widely available affordable primes are what made me decide to retire my D700 and switch to the Micro Four Thirds System full time.  What I was giving up in durability and perceived low-light capability (This is the biggest red-herring argument on the internet), I was gaining in portability and back-and-shoulder relieving comfort. 

Then came the day that some unfortunate E-M10 Mark II owners have endured.  The rear screen started to cut out when articulated.  Olympus has acknowledged some hardship when it came to moving production facilities and I suspect my unit was made during that transition period.  It's really a hit-or-miss situation with this problem.  Fortunately, it is covered under warranty to get fixed.  Unfortunately, my camera was out of warranty when it started exhibiting these symptoms.  If you send it back to Olympus, they'll still fix it and their repair service is top notch.  I sent my E-PL3 back for water damage and they sent me back a refurbished unit for $100USD + shipping.  The as-quoted price to fix the screen of the E-M10 II is $200USD + tax.  I live in New Jersey and Olympus has a repair facility where you can drop off in person and wait on site for the repair.   

I weighed my options.  I need this camera to work because I use it for work.  Do I let a professional fix it and pay the price for guaranteed working order or do I save some money, buy the part for $28USD and do it myself?  Obviously I went for the latter.  What have I got to lose?  How hard can it be?  On top of it all, I decided to document the whole DIY process by posting it on YouTube.  This was the ballsiest and most-successful DIY project I've ever attempted and I'm glad it worked out.  The only embarassing part of the whole process was that I accidentally melted part of the screen housing.   That and the GX85 I used to film the whole process stopped rolling because the batteries were exhausted by the time I started the crucial process of soldering the flex cable to the board.  Whoops.  Reassembly was straight forward.  Just make sure to turn it on and test it before you button it back up.   

 

Leave all your questions and comments here or on YouTube and don't forget to subscribe!


Comments

No comments posted.
Loading...

Buy me a coffee?Buy me a coffee?

 

        Check out my Book!

 

 

Subscribe
RSS
Archive
January February March April May June July August September October November December (1)
January (1) February March April (2) May June July August September (1) October (1) November (1) December
January February March (1) April (1) May June July August September October November December
January (1) February March April (1) May June July August (2) September October November (1) December
January (1) February (1) March (1) April May June July August September October November December (2)
January February March April May (2) June July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December